Abu Dhabi Plans $150 million Biotech Plant

uae_flagThe Khaleej Times have reported plans for an $150 million investment into the setup and construction of a biotech plant in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The formation of a new company, Emirates Biotech Pharmaceutical Factory, will establish and manage the operation, which intends to produce haemophilia A, crystal insulin, anti-cancers, growth factors and vaccines for the Middle East and African markets.

60% of the investment has been provided by private Emirati investors with an Egyptian company, Hebi Holding, providing the remaining 40%.

The construction of the facility is planned to be provided by two South Korean based companies, Hankook Korus Pharm and GL Rapha Corporation. The facility hopes to break ground in six months, with full commercial production tabled for 2012.

The biotech plant intends to employ 200 graduates sourced from local universities. Historically, biotechnology in the Middle East region has been held in the hands of pharmaceutical multi-nationals. This venture’s unique for the country where the biotech capabilities will be held locally and sold into the domestic region market.


  1. Ashwathy

    Who are the Contractors and Consultants for this project?

  2. Manikant

    Who are the Contractors and Consultants for this project?

  3. Dhanya

    I’m a post graduate in MSC Biotech; I would like to know about the recruitment procedures for the available positions..

  4. If any body has any detail on the current status of this project, please contact me on – najeeb@fabtecheng.com.

    We are turnkey solution providers to Pharmaceutical and Biotech Industry, with in-house design, engineering, construction and manufacturing of critical and vital elements like Modular Internal Partitions, HVAC, Cleanroom Equipments and Solutions, Isolation Systems, and External Construction. With our experienced team of Engineers, Pharma and R&D professionals, Validation experts as well as Technicians who have worked with Top end Multinational Pharma and Engineering companies, we have the capability to successfully execute projects FROM CONCEPT TO COMMISSIONING, having a strong and consistent presence in domestic as well as international markets.

Leave a Reply